Monday, July 5, 2010

Mind Games

Now that the barbecues and fireworks are over, it's time to get exercising.  I'll admit it, though. I'm injured and I can't do my favorite exercise, which is running.  To feel slightly less like a bump on the log, I hit the exercise bike every morning.  It's not running, but it's at least a little bit of exercise.  I'm very fortunate to have a bicycle in my office.

Since I don't enjoy it as much as running, I have to play mind games to get myself on the bike. As soon as I wake up, I try to distract myself so that I don't think about whether or not I'm going to get on the bike.  Instead, I try to think deep thoughts such as, "Where did my shoes walk themselves to since I took them off yesterday?" or, "Should I set the fan on level one or level two?"  By the time I figure out the answers to these and other ("Will the bicycle find me more attractive in purple or red shorts this morning?") perplexing questions, I am on the bicycle and pedaling away.  Not quite happily, but trying hard. 

Getting started with your exercise session is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment